Articles on this Page
- 02/18/08--05:00: _Green Energy Needs ...
- 05/30/08--07:22: _Wisconsin Signs Gre...
- 03/02/09--04:08: _Nevada Water Author...
- 11/09/09--09:07: _Zebra Mussels (and ...
- 06/15/10--12:39: _NASA Says Moon May ...
- 08/07/10--08:26: _Walleye Bones Can '...
- 10/03/10--10:45: _'Big UP Deal' Prote...
- 10/11/10--13:28: _U.S. Asian Carp Cza...
- 11/09/10--11:24: _Illinois Spending $...
- 12/14/10--15:00: _Pesticidal Proteins...
- 01/11/11--12:25: _Asian Carp Study La...
- 01/18/11--18:29: _Whales Burp Plastic...
- 03/08/11--09:46: _Asian Carp Almost M...
- 05/03/11--17:18: _Sword-Swinging Ninj...
- 06/04/11--08:49: _Ontario Reacts to L...
- 08/01/11--06:15: _It's Not Just Asian...
- 08/27/11--10:30: _Feds Hiring Unemplo...
- 10/15/11--06:58: _Toxic Algae Bloom i...
- 11/26/11--09:10: _Invasive? Bloody Re...
- 12/10/11--10:11: _New Flame Retardant...
- 01/31/12--06:52: _Too Far? New Plan t...
- 03/26/12--08:12: _SOM Architects Call...
- 06/28/12--02:00: _ The Decolonizing D...
- 09/10/12--10:22: _US and Canada Sign ...
- 02/22/13--12:04: _The Great Lakes vac...
- 06/27/13--10:18: _Body wash beads con...
- 01/07/14--10:44: _How can we deal wit...
- 03/04/14--06:56: _Great Lakes days aw...
- 06/16/14--05:00: _Illinois passes fir...
- 03/09/15--13:15: _The most contaminat...
- 02/18/08--05:00: Green Energy Needs Lots of Water
- 05/30/08--07:22: Wisconsin Signs Great Lakes Compact
- 06/15/10--12:39: NASA Says Moon May Have More Water than the Great Lakes
- 08/07/10--08:26: Walleye Bones Can 'Hear' the Sound of Overfishing
- 10/03/10--10:45: 'Big UP Deal' Protects 271,000 Acres in Michigan
- 11/09/10--11:24: Illinois Spending $2M to Ship Asian Carp Back to China
- 01/11/11--12:25: Asian Carp Study Largest Since Reversal of Chicago River
- 01/18/11--18:29: Whales Burp Plastic in the Great Lakes
- 03/08/11--09:46: Asian Carp Almost Migrate from U.S. to Canada, in a Big Truck
- 05/03/11--17:18: Sword-Swinging Ninjas On Skis Go After Asian Carp (Video)
- 06/04/11--08:49: Ontario Reacts to Live Asian Carp Spilled in River
- 08/01/11--06:15: It's Not Just Asian Carp: U.S. Identifies 40 High-Risk Species
- 08/27/11--10:30: Feds Hiring Unemployed for Great Lakes Cleanup
- 10/15/11--06:58: Toxic Algae Bloom in Lake Erie Worst in Decades
- 11/26/11--09:10: Invasive? Bloody Red Shrimp Are Supper for Great Lakes Fish
- 12/10/11--10:11: New Flame Retardants as Bad as Old Flame Retardants
- 03/26/12--08:12: SOM Architects Call for a 100 Year Vision for the Great Lakes
- 09/10/12--10:22: US and Canada Sign New Great Lakes Accord
- 02/22/13--12:04: The Great Lakes vacationing in... Europe
- 06/27/13--10:18: Body wash beads contaminate the Great Lakes
- 01/07/14--10:44: How can we deal with the Asian Carp invasion?
- 03/04/14--06:56: Great Lakes days away from record ice cover
- 06/16/14--05:00: Illinois passes first microbead ban in the world
In America's efforts to deal with Peak Oil, we may come up against Peak Water more quickly than imagined. University of Texas professor Michael Webber, an environmental policy specialist, told the American
I know. It's a snore. But it is an important snore, another step toward protecting one of the continent's greatest resources. Why? Read this editorial from the Oshkosh Northwestern:
Atlantic City, New Jersey casino Image credit:NJ.com
The Las Vegas Review-Journal cites the general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority saying 'now may be the time to take a serious look at a decades-old idea of capturing floodwater from
Out of the 185 invasive species in and around the Great Lakes, zebra mussels are posing a painful problem. The mussels have sharp shells and a tendency to slice up the feet of beach-goers. The mussels have hitched rides
The North American Great Lakes have some competition. digg_url = 'http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/06/nasa-says-moon-may-have-more-water-than-great-lakes.php'; The moon. Yes, that old thing in the sky may hold more than all
A university study on Lake Erie walleye may help scientists spot rivers that are at risk of overfishing. Researchers at Ohio State analyzed chemicals found in walleye ear bones, and were able to figure out which fish returned to
The Nature Conservancy has finally closed on a "Big UP Deal" that took 10 years and $58 million, and will protect and limit development on 271,000 acres in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. If
The Obama administration loves its czars almost as much as the media loves using the title. So here goes: The U.S. Asian Carp Czar, also known as John Goss, says he has a multi-pronged strategy to help keep Asian carp from
If you can't beat 'em, ship 'em. The state of Illinois is spending $2 million to ship invasive Asian carp back to China, where they're considered a delicacy. In Illinois, and the Great Lakes region, they're
Common sense tells us that, following corn harvest, fragments of corn cobs, leaves, stalks, silk, and pollen may be blown by the wind or carried across the land
This $2 million project, funded mostly with private money, is billed as the most comprehensive look at the Chicago waterway system since the reversal of the Chicago River more than 100 years ago. This
Just what the Great Lakes needs, more aquatic invasives. We're worrying about Asian carp and now we have whales? Whales in the Great Lakes, on Lake Superior? Well, "whale burps" have been found
How will invasive Asian carp enter the Great Lakes? Via the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, maybe another flood? They almost made it via a semi-tractor trailer crossing the Ambassador Bridge from the U.S. to Canada.
Asian carp, meet your worst nightmare. Not poison. Not an electric barrier, or a predator from your native land. No, this is good ol' American ingenuity. With a touch of Ted Nugent, or maybe Chuck Norris. People dressed in spiked body armor with
This was an actual test. But only a test. Like those emergency tones you hear on your TV when a storm is approaching. Officials in Ontario, Canada, think the possibility of a live Asian carp invasion via truck is real. People
Concerned about Asian carp? Meet the invasive cousins, you might say, of the monster fish. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has released a white paper on 40 high-risk species to watch out for,
Who says we have to choose between jobs and the environment? The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is starting a sort of Public Works program for the Great Lakes --- prioritizing funding for restoration projects that put the
Blooming Lake Erie. Photo Credit: NASA EO
Pure Michigan is a slogan used in the Great Lakes State, to bring in tourists and celebrate the beauty of nature. You probably won't be seeing these images in any Pure Michigan ad campaign. They're of algae,
Bloody red shrimp are invasive, but yummy for some native Great Lakes fish. A first-time find by Canadian researchers.
Flame retardants build up in the DNA of Great Lakes fish. Not cool.
Great Lakes residents would be paying this off for 47 years ... but reaping the benefits for just as long.
The availability and quality of fresh water to sustain a radically urbanizing world is unquestionably a core issue of our time and requires holistic environmental thinking at an unprecedented scale
How big of a locavore are you? Could you eat only foods that were available to Native Americans before 1600?
It's been forty years since Nixon and Trudeau signed the original; it's time for an update.
Sometimes the best way to get an idea of the scale of something is to change the context.
Exfoliating body wash may make you clean, but it's making the lake water dirty.
A major report just released offers expensive technological solutions. We reivew options ranging from barriers to bow-hunting.
This long, cold winter has created the most ice cover on the Great Lakes in 20 years—and with ice cover usually at its peak in mid-March, there's still time for records to be broken.
Finally one state is putting a stop to the "exfoliocean." Hopefully others will follow its lead, forcing companies to adopt eco-friendly alternatives.
Well, at least the most iconic animal in the United States won't catch on fire too easily...